Iran attack: More US troops under medical evaluation, flown out of Iraq

Date:

The exact number of troops flown to Germany was not immediately clear.

Additional US troops have been flown out of Iraq for closer evaluation of potential concussion injuries from the Iranian missile attack of January 8, US defense officials said Tuesday.

The exact number of troops flown to Germany was not immediately clear, but officials said it was a small number. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because some details were still being sorted out. Last week, 11 US service members were flown from Iraq to US medical facilities in Germany and Kuwait for further evaluation of concussion-like symptoms.

Navy Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for US Central Command, which oversees military operations across the Middle East, confirmed the additional evacuations but did not say how many were included.

“As medical treatment and evaluations in theater continue, additional service members have been identified as having potential injuries,” Urban said Tuesday evening. “These service members – out of an abundance of caution – have been transported to Landstuhl, Germany, for further evaluations and necessary treatment on an outpatient basis. Given the nature of injuries already noted, it is possible additional injuries may be identified in the future.”

As recently as last Tuesday night, President Donald Trump said he had been told no American had been harmed in the Iranian missile strike. The question of American casualties was especially significant at the time because the missile attack’s results were seen as influencing a US decision on whether to retaliate and risk a broader war with Iran.

Trump chose not to retaliate, and the tensions with Iran have eased somewhat.

In the days following the Iranian attack, medical screening determined that some who took cover during the attack were suffering from concussion-like symptoms.

No one was killed in the attack on Ain Al Asad air base in western Iraq. The strike was launched in retaliation for a US drone missile strike that killed Qassem Soleimani, the most powerful military general in Iran, on January 3 at Baghdad International Airport.

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

One Killed, Two Seriously Hurt in Shooting in Oman

Police say an Omani citizen opened fire on three...

Two UAE Women Honoured for Providing Food and Cold Drinks to Workers in Summer Heat

The Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation honours two...

Sharjah Landmark Ansar Mall to Close; New Stores Planned in Abu Dhabi and Dubai

The group also confirmed the closure of its Ansar...

Dubai Airport’s Invite-Only Mallathon Brings Community Together, Says Top Official

Dubai’s invite-only mallathon at DXB has attracted hundreds of...