The actor bravely battled a neuroendocrine tumour and had returned to the industry to film his last project, ‘Angrezi Medium’, which released in March.
Irrfan Khan bravely battled a rare form of cancer since his diagnosis in March 2018. Here is how the popular actor dealt with his illness and the repercussions it had on his acting career before his untimely passing on April 29, 2019.
– On March 5, 2018 the Slumdog Millionaire actor revealed on Twitter that he was seriously ill. He had written: “Sometimes you wake up with a jolt with life shaking you up. The last fifteen days, my life has been a suspense story. Little had I known that my search for rare stories would make me find a rare disease. I have never given up and have always fought for my choices and always will. My family and friends are with me and we are working it out the best way possible. In trying times, please don’t speculate as I will myself share with you my story within a week – ten days, when the further investigations come with a conclusive diagnosis. Till then, wish the best for me.”
– On March 16, 2018, the actor revealed he had been diagnosed with a rare tumour. “Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect: Margaret Mitchell. The unexpected makes us grow, which is what the past few days have been about. Learning that I have been diagnosed with NeuroEndocrine Tumour as of now has now has admittedly been difficult, but the love and strength of those around me and that I found within me has brought me to a place of hope. The journey of this is taking me out of the country, and I request everyone to continue sending their wishes. As for the rumours that were floated NEURO is not always about the brain and googling is the easiest way to do research 🙂 To those who waited for my words, I hope to be back with more stories to tell.”
– After preliminary treatment, Irrfan flew to London, England, for further medical care. Not many details were revealed during this time of the actor’s life, other than some interviews that were shared on social media.
– In 2019, after his health reportedly improved he began shooting for Homi Adajania’s Angrezi Medium, a spin-off of the 2017 hit film Hindi Medium. Announcing his return to India on Twitter on April 3, 2019, he thanked fans for their love and support: Announcing his return, he wrote on Twitter in April: “Maybe, somewhere in the pursuit of winning, we forget how much it means to be loved. In our vulnerability, we are reminded. As I leave my footprints onto these steps of my life, I want to pause to be grateful for receiving your immense love and support, it soothed me in my process of healing. So I travel back to you, thanking you from the bottom of my heart.”
– Angrezi Medium was due for release in March 2019, but Irrfan was unable to participate in promotions due to his health declining once again. In a recorded message he said he had ‘unwanted guests in my body’ as the film’s trailer released in February. He said in Hindi: “Hello, brothers and sisters. I am with you and not with you. This film, Angrezi Medium, is very special to me. I truly wanted to promote this film as passionately as we made it, but there are some ‘unwanted guests’ in my body and they’re keeping me busy. I’ll keep you informed on that front. There’s a saying, ‘when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.’ It feels good to hear, but when life really hands you lemons, making lemons is really difficult. One doesn’t have any other choice but to remain positive. Whether you are able to make lemonade in such situations is entirely up to you. We’ve made this film with the same sort of positivity. I hope this film is able to make you laugh and cry in equal measure. Enjoy the trailer, and be kind to each other, and enjoy the film. And yes, wait for me.”
– On April 28, Irrfan was admitted to Mumbai’s Kokilaben Hospital for a colon infection. He passed away on Wednesday, April 29 at the hospital.