US strike kills Taleban splinter commander: Officials

Date:

A spokesman confirmed they had launched “a defencive air strike in support of Afghan forces”.

A US airstrike killed a Taleban splinter-group commander and several other fighters in the western Afghan province of Herat, Afghan and military sources said on Thursday.

The commander, named as Mullah Nangyalay, was killed in Shindand district, close to the border with Iran, said Herat provincial governor’s spokesman Jailani Farhad.

Nangyalay split from the main branch of the Taleban after the 2013 death of founder Mullah Omar and joined a smaller breakaway faction led by a commander known as Mullah Rasool.

A senior provincial police source said the airstrike had been carried out by a US drone.

A spokesman for US forces in Afghanistan confirmed they had launched “a defencive air strike in support of Afghan forces”.

The main Taleban group has been negotiating with Washington for more than a year over the withdrawal of US troops in exchange for security guarantees from the militants that could pave the way to intra-Afghan peace talks.

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

The Ruler of Sharjah has approved Dh76.9 million to help citizens settle their debts.

The initiative is intended to ensure a stable and...

This Ramadan, Global Village is offering a special deal: buy one ticket and get four!

You can purchase extra tickets as add-ons for just...

Flydubai unveils new route to one of the world’s top Gen Z destinations

Could this new route reshape your travel plans? Thinking about...

Boost your UAE end-of-service benefits with the Alternative Savings Scheme

Traditional vs. Alternative Gratuity: How to Grow a ‘Second...